Sunday, December 26, 2010

Christmas and friends!


BV!!

I felt very privileged last week to get to see some friends I haven't seen in a while. First, my friend, Brian, whom I went to college with came all the way out to Colorado to visit! I think he mainly just wanted to visit CO! haha. He has never really been here so I wanted to give him the real Colorado experience, but I also tried not to wear him out too much! The night he flew in, another friend of mine from Iowa, Matt, was here so we got to stop and visit him for a bit.

The first day I decided to get him a little used to what a snowboard feels like before actually going to Monarch to snowboard. So we went out and did a little snowboarding and then snowshoeing. He enjoyed it, I think! haha. I forget sometimes about the altitude being hard to get used to when hiking, and snowshoeing is harder then hiking to begin with, but he did good!


Awesome hunters camp we came across while snowshoeing. It had it all. Large stack of firewood, lawn chairs, fire extinguisher, tripod for cooking, linen line. It was so cool!

Snowshoes! Just a little older version than what we used!

Day 2 we went to Monarch. It was a very snowy Colorado day, but I was loving it! More snow the better!!! I know I am not the best teacher, at most things, and with snowboarding I try but need to develop some better techniques at teaching I think. My philosophy is show them the basics, then throw them out there! haha, not completely. I took it easy at first, but by the end of the day we went down a hard run. Well, hard for beginners, lol. He was able to make it down, and he is still talking to me, so I guess he wasn't too mad at me. He did good. For anyone wanting to learn to snowboard or having just gone a few times and feel like they spent the whole time on the ground: your not the only one! Snowboarding is hard at first, and painful. It takes time, you just have to stick with it and know that it will get easier. Since the first day I started snowboarding I don't think I have gone a whole day without falling at least once, your not pushing yourself if you don't! Trust me, it is worth it! Can't wait until I decide to finally settle down in the mountains and become the snow bunny I am meant to be! But, I will stick with travelling at least a little while longer first! Never know the plans God has for me I guess.


So while Brian was here we also played a litle racquetball. So fun, always wish I could play more. Day 5 we went to a musical with a co-worker and her sister: Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat. If anyone hasn't seen this I highly recommend it. It was awesome. Just makes you happy the whole time, it's so cheery, fun, and colorful. And they were great singers, we were impressed. Before the play we were able to meet up with a friend from Oklahoma and her sister. They were just driving through Colorado on their way to Idaho. So great timing! I miss getting to see a lot of my friends, so anytime, even a short time, is always great! Day 6 we went to the King Tut display at the art museum in Denver. It was pretty cool. Really crowded, but got to see some cool artifacts. Kind of disappointed it didn't actually have King Tut. Kinda odd. I think what I enjoyed the most was just walking around downtown Denver. I grew up in Colorado but have seen very little of Denver. Pretty cool downtown area.

After Denver I got to test out the capabilities of my car driving I-70 back to Buena Vista. It was snowing pretty hard and the roads were snow-packed and slick. My car did great and I definitely trust it more than my old car. Love it!! Then I got to hang out with more friends!! Brea and her husband Tom were in town. It was totally worth it to drive back to BV for the night to see them and her family. Love them all!! Got to exchange some back massages, a good game of peanuts, and some arm wrestling! Good times! Even though Brea does beat me at most things, I still love her!!!

Then back to work for some very busy nights! Of course I didn't know about the lunar eclipse when the schedule was being made, if I had I might not have decided to work that night. It was busy! The moon was kicking all those ladies into labor. And the actual full moon was not until the next night. Which was busy as well, but nothing like the night of the eclipse. But because I was working I was already going to be up all night so I was able to sneak out for a few minutes to look at it. It was cool! Not as red as I thought it would be, but definitely awesome looking. I was wishing I was with my brother with his big fancy telescope watching it. I guess California was having downpours so they didn't even get to see it, bummer!


Finally I got to go home for Christmas! I came home the night of the 23rd so got to be home Christmas Eve and Christmas. Christmas Eve I went snowboarding at Monarch with my friend Brian, his brother, my dad, and bro. Most people I have been boarding with yet! haha, well actually, mostly I have gone alone, so it was really fun to go with people!

Christmas this year was just my parents, my oldest brother, and I. It was very chill and relaxed. Mom did most the cooking because she made a lot of stuff a few days early. I didn't get to help much, unfortunately, since I wasn't home yet. It was an excellent meal! And we all got some great gifts. I would have to say the best gift I got were some pictures of my pregnant friend Kylee! I haven't seen her since she started showing so its unreal to me that she is actually pregnant. I can't wait to see her again! I did get a new watch and some stuff for my car also! We all got to play lots of games together and do some hiking. The candlelight Christmas Eve service at church was great. I don't think I have ever been to their Christmas Eve service, even though I grew up going to church there. It's just usually we are at our cabin in southern Colorado for Christmas. I saw lots of old hometown friends, very nice to catch up!

Dad reading the Christmas Story

Got ya! He really didn't want me to take a picture of him...

She didn't either. She is probably going to kill me once she finds out I posted this pic!! I think she looks beautiful though!


We miss you Luke and Jackie!

It was really sad not having Luke and Jackie here though. Christmas just didn't feel quite right without them. A few more days of snowboarding and hiking then Christmas break will be over. Not that it is really called a break for me anymore, just my days off of work! I really like getting to have more than just a few off at a time!

That almost wraps up 2010. All I have left is snowsheoing on New Year's Eve! I would have to say I have been very privileged for all I have been blessed with this year and all the experiences God has allowed me to have. I have lived in 3 different states this year, even snowboarded in 4 different states. I have met many people and developed many new friendships. Thank you to everyone that has been reading this blog, encouraged me, and been there for me. I love you all and appreciate you all. I look forward to what God has in store for me in 2011!!

In God's Love

No comments:

Post a Comment